Peri Peri Garlic Chicken with Teriyaki Glaze.
Growing up in the UK and visiting often, I always end up going to Nando’s. It’s a fantastic South African restaurant chain that specializes in Portuguese-style chicken dishes with various peri-peri marinades. In the UK, Nando’s sauces and seasonings can be found very easily. They are available in the US through Amazon and are now showing up on more store shelves (World Market, Kroger, etc).
This recipe uses Nando’s peri-peri salt, and I deviated from the traditional peri-peri formula by adding the sweet flavor of teriyaki as I always love the glaze that teriyaki bbq sauces create.
- 2 Chickens cut up, skin-on
- 1/4 cup oil
- 8 – 10 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoon chilli pepper
- 3 teaspoons Onion powder
- 2 teaspoons Colemans mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons Nando’s Peri Peri salt
- 1/3 cup Teriyaki BBQ Sauce (found in nearly any grocery store with an Asian section)
- Black Pepper
- 1 stick of butter (melted)
- Wash chicken and make a couple of slits in each piece
- Put in large ziplock
- Combine all ingredients except butter and marinade overnight.
- Set up your grill/smoker to cook at 425 degrees on indirect heat. I added one lump of post oak wood for additional smokey flavor.
- Cook until internal temp reached 165 degrees, mopping with butter and Teriyaki BBQ sauce every 15 mins or so.