Tandoori Turkey Breasts and Legs
This is the third turkey recipe we tried this past Thanksgiving holiday. This one comes from our Tandoori Chicken Tikka recipe and includes a lemon-garlic butter baste similar to our other turkey recipe.
- 1 turkey breast (bone-in and skin-on) and 2 legs/drumsticks
- 1/2 packet of Shan Tandoori Masala
- 1/2 packet of Shan Chicken Tikka
- 3 tablespoons of ghee or any cooking oil
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Juice from 3 lemons
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Ginger paste (optional; use if you really like the flavor of garlic and ginger)
- Juice from 1 lemon (for lemon-garlic butter baste)
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons) of unsalted butter (for lemon-garlic butter baste)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (for lemon-garlic butter baste)
- 1/2 tspn black pepper (for lemon-garlic butter baste)
- 1/2 tspn Morton’s Kosher salt (for lemon-garlic butter baste)
- Whisk together Shan masalas, ghee/oil, yogurt, lemon juice (from 3 lemons), and garlic ginger paste (if using).
- Marinade turkey with the mixture for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight
- Remove turkey from fridge
- Prep grill/smoker. Set up for indirect cooking at about 325-350 degrees Fahrenheit with wood chunks (preferably Post Oak) for smoking
- Place turkey in grill/smoker.
- Prepare the baste: melt butter in saucepan over low-medium heat and add garlic, salt, and pepper. Remove the pan from heat, and mix in juice from lemon.
- Once the turkey gets to about 140 degrees (around 45-60 minutes), use a basting brush to basted the turkey with the lemon-garlic butter mix. Repeat one or two more times (around the time internal temperature reaches 150 degrees and 155 degrees).
- Remove turkey from grill/smoker once internal temperature reaches 160-165 degrees Fahrenheit
- Slice turkey breast and serve.